A. Policy Analysis and Support
NARMA has excellent understanding of Nepal’s natural resources management policies and strategies in general and that of the agricultural sector in particular, as a result of its:
· direct involvement and assistance to the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives in formulating agricultural sector policies such as Nepal Agriculture Extension Strategy for the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperation and Human Resources Development Strategies for the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives and Agriculture Perspective Plan (APP) Implementation Action Plan, Food Security Policies and Strategies for incorporation in the current Three Year Interim Plan and
· in-depth review of different policies and strategies as part of studies and projects in NRM sector like the Preparation of Management Plan for Annapurna Conservation Area, Preparation of District Forest Sector Plan of Kanachapur district, Review of Nepal’s Protected Areas and Wetlands, Review of APP Implementation Status report and preparation of APP implementation action plan, Preparation of the Progress Status of Millennium Development Goal in five districts of Nepal, etc.
B. Project Formulation
NARMA has already prepared a number of project proposals and designed projects based on detail feasibility studies and pre-project technical assistance to the different clients. All projects designed with NARMA’s facilitation have been implemented. These, among others, include Building Peace from Below currently being implemented by Rural Reconstruction Nepal through CIDA’s assistance, Agriculture Training and Extension Improvement Project implemented through JICA’s assistance and Cocoon Production and Processing Project again through JICA’s assistance NARMA’s Competencies regarding Project Planning Tools and Methodologies include the following:
· Use of the Sustainable Livelihoods Framework and Tools in Project Design, Monitoring and Evaluation
· Use of participatory methodologies and tools particularly stakeholder analysis and institutional assessment
· Building rapport with the clients and ensuring their ownership, which is one of the key factors
· Use of the Results Based Management System, Management for Development Results etc.
C. Baseline and Project Feasibility Surveys
NARMA has implemented baseline surveys for several externally funded projects which, among others, include Commercial Agriculture Development Project, Agriculture Perspective Plan Support Project, Participatory Conservation Project and Improving Food Security for the Communities Vulnerable to Food Price Volatility, One Village One Product Project.
D. Evaluation and Impact Assessment
NARMA has already carried out more than two dozens of evaluation and impact assessment studies for several government departments and the external funding agencies including donors and international non-government organizations. This has been possible because of its deep understanding of the modern evaluation techniques and principles, adherence to the fundamental principles of evaluation, capability to maintain objectivity and ensure neutrality.